Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Peggy McIntosh/Bell Hooks Observations

I found both the perspectives of Bell and Peggy to be very interesting and enlightening where my own views were broadened or awakened. Peggy's perspective on white privilege, was accurate to my own thoughts including how many things that are available to white people with little effort. I never put much thought into making a turkey sandwich or eating PB&J sandwiches while listening to music on my iPod or watching a movie. I went to Chicago over spring break for a few days, and seeing all of the homeless there, which primarily were African-American, made me notice the simple pleasures which I enjoy on a daily basis are indeed great privileges to others. There was a great number of homeless that would wander the streets asking for money and it's emotionally taxing telling them no. Even if you give money to one individual, there are hundreds with the same need and it's just not possible to help them all. 

I found the title "earned strength, unearned power" to be very compelling and upsetting by the obvious truth of the matter. There is no doubt that a white male has more authority in most circumstances than a maybe a Hispanic male. I notice in various work places in Kalamazoo, the custodial positions or cooking positions in establishments are African-American and Hispanic men, compared to the administrative positions which are filled by white men. African-American women dominate the hotels as maids while the desk clerk or hostess is often white women. This whole idea that gender roles decide where you work, and how far you can progress is a problem in society. Women have to work harder than most men, for similar circumstances.

When Bell Hooks talked about Spike Lee and how hollywood labeled him as a failed director based on his revenue from making a film over his artistic intent, they were taking sides against his color. She makes the comparison to Woody Allen, who is a white male, making many movies that aren't blockbusters, yet he is considered artistic or witty. Two similar directors in their own ways, making films, not movies mind you but actual "films" that are targeting the public to get reactions. Hollywood is liberal and fairly open with different types of movies being released but they have the constant agenda to make the big bucks. If it isn't going to sell tickets they will do whatever they have to, to the script, to make it marketable. I cringe at the idea that the only way to make a decent living as an actor is to sell out. Creativity is slowly losing its place in the world, making way for dollar signs and franchises. 

I thought the inclusion of Madonna in regards to her abandoning feminism for a new gimmick that would sell was a bold but honest statement. Madonna was much more rebellious and outright in her earlier work than in her later years. Hooks told how she debased and degraded her principles to keep earning more and more money which resulted in the reaffirmation to white supremacy and patriarchy. Hooks tells that there will always be more money to be made on the right wing, compared to the left. I agree with this because of the millions of Americans I think the majority fall along the right side of the political spectrum. It is this fact that excites me with the upcoming presidential election. Coming from a conservative family, I constantly hear that McCane will win the election, but in all honesty I hope that Obama does. I would prefer to see some change just to see what happens to the country, than keep it safe and vote republican as American usually does.

Both women had such interesting views on their topics that I found it informative in reading/watching their ideas and I feel that I'm better educated for doing so.

1 comment:

mariabenson said...

I remember when I was leaving Chicago by car, I looked around and noticed that the majority of drivers on the expressway were white. The expressway runs parallel to the train tracks; it runs into the south-side of Chicago. In the train were ONLY black people. My jaw dropped, literally; I couldn't help myself. This was a very new experience for me and it made me feel nauseous. There's so much meaning in such a simple observation.