Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In-Class Writing 3-12-08

Home

I think that "Those Who Don't " is a good vignette that describes how a person's home is always a safe haven for them, even if others find the area afraid. Esperanza feels a sense of security when she is surrounded by her own type of people on Mango Street. She feels it is a comfortable area despite her wanting to move to a nicer house somewhere else. This is is important because it applies to all peoples of the world in all places. I naturally feel safe and at home in my house on my street, around people that are familiar to me. If i find myself gallevanting in cities that I am foreign to, I begin to feel anxious when I notice the area might be putting me out of place. I mean this in regards to societies expectations on appearance. If I was to wonder in the ghetto wearing an expensive shirt and tie in my home town of Monroe, I know I would be singled out in the minds of the locals based on my appearance. Even though the city is my home, certain areas are out of reach for my comfort zone. Esperanza had this experience in a similar way, she was afraid of all white areas because to them she was alien. A major theme in this story is to grow to love yourself and find peace. I think by the end of the book it is clear that Esperanza wishes to leave Mango St., but only to come back and help those less fortunate. She is escaping to gain experience so she can perhaps take that fear out of peoples eyes.

Family

Esperanza has a very interesting relationship with her family. She tells how she had never seen her father cry until his father died. Every morning he was off to work before the sun was even up because he loved his family and did all he could to support them. I think this is repaid when Esperanza gets a job at the photo shop to try to help the family as well. Esperanza's relationship with Nenny especially was an example at the bonds shared within the family. She tells how even though she didn't always prefer to be Nenny's friend, she found when they were with other people, Nenny understood her better than her own peers. They grew up in the same household with the same values and traditions so naturally they know each other better than they even realize. Despite the fact that the boys didn't mingle with the girls outside of the home, and they lived in the "male world" I have no doubt that Esperanza's brothers would protect her at a moments notice, most likely in their older years, but indefinitely they would be by her side.

Personal Identity

Esperanza struggles with personal identity because of her race, social status, and economic status. All of which are interconnected in the story and playing a major role in how she feels about herself. When she wanted to eat at the canteen her mother agreed, after three days of begging by Esperanza, and Esperanza finally felt like she would belong, being able to eat as the other kids did. When the nun in "A Rice Sandwich"assumed that she lived in the crummy flats down the street, Esperanza was hurt and felt ashamed. Even though she didn't live in such apartments, she didn't say the nun was wrong. Outside influences are the major factor when affecting a person's self-esteem, and especially with sexuality, Esperanza experiences many bad moments. it's hard times that people go through that give them a clear awareness of where they stand or where they would like to be in the society.

No comments: